It is August. This means it is time to start getting serious about NFL futures bets. Early August isn’t a time I typically place my bets unless a line is just too enticing to pass. This is the time I start watching value teams and their odds closely.
NFL Odds 8/7/18
|New England Patriots||7/1|
|Los Angeles Rams||12/1|
|Green Bay Packers||14/1|
|New Orleans Saints||16/1|
|Los Angeles Chargers||20/1|
|San Francisco 49ers||20/1|
|Kansas City Chiefs||25/1|
|New York Giants||25/1|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||66/1|
|New York Jets||150/1|
Most Intriguing Bets
1. New York Giants 25/1 : I am the furthest from an Eli fan, but here is what I know. Eli + good run game + top defense = Super Bowl. Looking at their roster and all the word out of training camp, this is an intriguing play. There’s no question Eli is capable of winning, and OBJ is the Nicks/Burress receiver. The defense is loaded on paper with talent while they’ve added one of the best RB prospects in recent memory. This is a good recipe for Eli type football
2. Seattle Seahawks 50/1 : Look, I get it they’ve had a lot of turnover, but is Russell Wilson healthy and playing QB? They’ve added youth to the defense, and kept the LB core intact. Most positions aren’t being replaced with rookies, but guys like Frank Clark and Jarran Reed hitting their 3rd and 4th seasons when guys really step up. While definitely risky, I love the odds for a small wager.
3. Kansas City Chiefs 25/1 : Alex Smith really held down the offense with fear during the playoffs. If Mahomes can manage the ball and add that element, Andy Reid may finally finish the job like that KC BBQ.
Best Value Plays
1. Atlanta Falcons 16/1 : I am a fan to be upfront, but this isn’t from my fandom. Look at the Falcons roster top to bottom and they stack up to any team in the NFL. Quinn has instilled a killer nature in them and they were 9 yards short of beating the Super Bowl winning Eagles. Last year they had a new coordinator, QB sleeping on hospital bed week of the game, and an uncharacteristic drop issue, but played as well down the stretch on defense as any team in the NFL. The Falcons offense can match up with any defense, and the defense is poised to be a top 5 unit this year. Could be lethal…
2. Philadelphia Eagles 10/1 : They just won, are deep and added more talent. How are they 3rd best odds? Repeat is hard, but few come back next year even more loaded. I’ll take the 10/1 knowing the team can sustain losing it’s starting QB and still feel confident they match up with any roster in the NFL
Early NBA Odds
For this, I am really only watching the Eastern Conference right now as I think there are some intriguing plays. For the Western Conference, its pretty much all Warriors. The only real intriguing play for me is San Antonio. With Aldridge, DeRozan, and Gasol on a Pop led squad isn’t exactly devoid of players. At 50:1 championship odds, and a very Pop-esque roster, I find it intriguing for a flyer play.
|New York Knicks||50/1|
For the Eastern Conference, I am really intrigued by the Milwaukee Bucks. This is a team that with poor coaching and no real time practicing a real defense, that has now quietly taken the newly appointed great Brad Stevens to 7. Coach Bud maximizes talent and recognizes the importance of fundamental defense. They have a roster that is very intriguing on the defensive end with the size and length, and the ceiling is better than Boston on that end. Add some shooters and way better coaching, and I believe this is a team that legitimately can play in the NBA finals. 25/1 isn’t bad for a realistic shot.
Let me know your thoughts and teams you thought were missed in the NFL. A deeper look at the NFL will come the week before the season after preseason and injuries. Stay tuned