Bringing in another edition of Sniper Shots where I aim to bring you some new useful and even some useless facts about teams and series heading into the game. This week’s match up brings us the Colts visiting the Patriots in what is being viewed as a very one sided game. The one thing I love about Thursday is there is just an extra element of uncertainty with the short week, injuries and game planning that predicting the match ups is both exciting and nerve racking at times. Without further ado, here is week 5’s 10 lightning facts about this weeks match up.
1. Bill Belichick owns a 16-7 series record against the Colts with Luck and Manning since taking over NE.
2. Since Andrew Luck was drafted, the Colts are 0-5 giving up 44.6 points/game and haven been out scored 223-100.
3. The average total score in the Luck era between the Colts and Patriots is 64.6 points/game
4. Jim Irsay & Chris Ballard will not be looking to shake hands with Josh McDaniels after being stiffed by him for the HC job.
5. The Colts & Patriots is a classic rivalry dating back to 1970 when then Baltimore Colts played in the AFC East with the Patriots
6. Tom Brady is 14 – 5 against the Colts since taking over as starter including a current 7 game win streak.
7. This will be a quazi super bowl rematch as Frank Reich torched New England’s defense with Philly in SB 52
8. Both teams come into the game averaging around 23 points per game, but New England is the stingier defense allowing 21 points to the Colts 25 per game
9. New England has struggled to stop the run this season giving up 122 yards per game. However the Colts have struggled to run the ball this season only gaining around 72 yards per game
10. Indianapolis has given up sacks on 10% of drop backs this season while New England has been one of the top defenses stopping safety valves in the pass game
Week 5 Sniper Shot : The Patriots are currently favored by 11 points in this game with an over/under of 50.5. I like the Patriots in this one. The Colts are down their starting RB and #1 WR. That’s going to create issues for an offense that has been stagnant. There is the potential of a shock from players the Patriots just don’t have film on, but I do not think the OL will give Luck time to let plays develop. Patriots 34 – 13
Sniper’s Bets Record :2-2
– Wk 1 O/U 44.5 – Win
– Wk 2 O/U 44 – Loss
– Wk 3 Browns -3 – Win
– Wk 4 Rams -7.5 – Loss